Powered by NetBSD

Thursday 13 September 2012

Internet on my NetBSD 5.2.1 macppc port

Hurrah! Am no longer having to switch computers to blog. I now have a fully functional web browser (though slightly antiquated), running on my NetBSD 5.2.1. macppc port. The machine I must say is a tad bit slow at downloading the pages, but other than that works perfectly well.  Next I have decided to install emacs and start coding on the machine. firefox does not compile but firefox36 does. That's the port that I am running on NetBSD as of now. It took a good 10 hours to compile firefox on the machine. I really need to learn how to cross compile so that I can compile on my main laptop and then run the code on my Powerbook G3 Wallstreet PDQ. 

I also filed a send_pr about the bmac driver that does not seem to work on NetBSD. A few people have gotten back to me, but it does not look promising that the driver would be fixed. However, I am keeping my hopes up. The problem being that the people who do know how to write a kernel driver does not have access to the hardware. I would have probably done it had my coding skills been a tad bit more advanced but perhaps I would add that to my bucket list. 

I'm having a bit of trouble configuring GNUMail.app on my system. The configuration/preference panel is entirely blank. Probably a bug in the system so until that's fixed I will be hunting for a good email client. I might as well also just use the web browser to check email. 

X-Chat is a great irc program for keeping connected with the outside world and it compiles without any issues. So I'm using XChat to do some chatting and the occasional help request on the NetBSD channel on Freenode. 

I haven't installed Java or Flash on NetBSD. I probably won't be needing it either since I don't intend to use the machine for any youtube viewing or such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment